Taste Washington Day is a state-wide celebration of Washington-grown foods in school lunches. The Langley Middle School cafeteria and students took it to the next level by celebrating our school grown produce.
Susan Milan’s 7th grade Health and Wellness elective organized the Thursday, Oct. 6th event with drawing publicity posters, selecting recipes, preparing them for a sampling table of delicious local food, and serving it all to their fellow students.
On Wed., Oct 5th, some of the students came to the Whidbey Island Nourishes kitchen at the Primary School to prepare, all from school-grown produce, these dishes for the sampling table during lunch:
- carrot/zucchini/cabbage coleslaw
- zucchini noodles with fresh tomato sauce
- basil pesto with carrot sticks and green beans for dipping
- cucumber salad
Then, on Thursday, Oct 6th, the students set up the sampling tables. To the fresh food prepared at the WIN kitchen, students brought baked items from home including kale chips (school grown), baked cinnamon apples, and Thunder cake (chocolate cake made with tomatoes). All these delicious offerings were very much enjoyed by the Middle School students, teachers and staff!
Last but not least was the regular school lunch offering! Cafeteria lunch chefs DeeDee Curtis and Patti Dunigan cook with school grown produce every day in season. On Taste Washington Day, the menu included:
- Fettucini Alfredo topped with school-grown sauteed broccoli, zucchini, beans and carrots
- Pasta with school-grown and scratch-cooked tomato sauce with meatballs
- Caesar salad with school-grown romaine lettuce
- Veggie platter with school-grown peppers, broccoli, carrots, cucumber, tomatoes
- Potato salad with school-grown Makah Ozette potatoes
- Coleslaw with school-grown cabbage coleslaw
- Apple crisp with Washington state apples. Next year our orchard will be producing and we’ll have school-grown apples!
Taste Washington Day was Taste South Whidbey School Gardens Day at the Middle School. Delicious, healthy, fun… and as local as you can get!